Wednesday, September 24, 2008

You Know You're a Stay at Home Mom If . . .

You know you're a stay at home mom if...

You spend all day in your p.j.'s
You forget to eat breakfast and don't realize it until lunch
You give your toddler "choices" to avoid tantrums

Break

Funny story I just remembered. One day I was at the pool with Katelyn. We had been swimming for quite a long time and it was time to go home. I told Katelyn that it was time for us to go home and she was not having it. I told her that we could either go home and take a nice bubble bath or go home and go straight to bed depending on how well she was behaving. She said, "no mommy," and proceeded and to make up two of her own choices both of which included staying at the pool or staying at the pool. I thought it was pretty clever of her and it made me laugh. Needless to say, she ended up going home and going straight to bed because of the royal tantrum she threw after that.

Break ended

You constantly have a nursery rhyme or children's songs stuck in your head (there have been times when I wake up in the middle of the night with a silly song stuck in my head. It never ends.)
You have all of your children's books memorized
You know just what to do to make each of your children laugh
Taking a shower is meditation time
You are not afraid to act like a total nerd in the grocery store making silly faces and all if it will keep your child happy.
Chicken nuggets are a food group in and of themselves
You have felt the urge to spank your child's bottom (I feel the urge often but have only given in once or twice and immediate remorse followed)
You spend sleepless nights caring for sick or restless children
Naptime is the time of the day to clean the house
You feel joy beyond explanation when you watch your child do something for the first time.
You get excited when your baby poops
You have good days and bad days - days where you feel like pulling your hair out and days where you just have fun with your kids.

Overall I would not replace it with anything. It's rewards are lasting and worth all the sleepless nights.

2 comments:

Amber said...

So true! :)

The Richardsons said...

Angela, I loved reading your blog. Thanks for sending the link. The "You know your a stay at home mom if" list is great. I wanted to share an "option" story of my own. Last month, my son Nathan really wanted green Jello. He asked for it for two days, so on Sunday I made it for dinner. All day he asked to have it and I said, "You can have it for dinner." After pestering me all afternoon, he came up with his own idea. He always prefers to come up with an idea on his own than to feel like he's being told what to do. So, he turned the tables and said, "I know mom, you can have it for dinner, or Monday, or October. Those are your three options," and held up three fingers. I said, "For dinner" and he said, "OK". It was cute and funny because I often give Nathan 2 options, sometimes maybe 3, to choose from. He usually tries to come up with a different idea instead of choosing between my options, but I try to stick to what I've said to try to teach him to choose between appropriate (and offerred) options. He sure keeps me on my toes, though. He's a smart boy! He's certainly a thinker!