Sunday, September 13, 2009

Just a Thought

So I was running on the treadmill yesterday doing my first long run that will start off my training program for the next few months leading to a half marathon in November, and I saw a clip on the television that caught my eye. I wasn't listening in to the station but I saw protesters holding up banners that had critical things written on them directed towards the president. One of them read something about how he could not do something. Like I said, I wasn't listening in so I don't know the details on the protesters nor the exact complaints.

For a second I thought of the president in a new way. One I had never thought of him in before. I began to imagine myself in his shoes and how I might feel when I heard and saw all of the criticism directed specifically towards me. True that there are many matters that I myself do not agree with the president on. True that I myself have been critical towards this man on several occasions. As I began to think of the times that I have felt anger or frustration with this man, I thought about how he must feel behind closed doors when the camera is not on him. The burdens that he carries to run a country and make decisions each day that directly affect the lives of millions of people. I imagined that he probably feels tremendous responsibility and pressure each day of his life. Behind closed doors I imagine that he cries tears of sorrow, frustration and surrender. Then the cameras light on his face and he has to hide it all away and speak with confidence and conviction so that the people of this country feel somewhat protected and safe under his care. What a load to carry.

So the next immediate thought that came to my head was that this man, the president of the United States of America, needs prayers. He needs lots of prayers from people all over the country. He needs prayers that will lift him up and help him to make wise decisions for this country. He needs prayers that he will have the courage to stand up for what is right and to carry forth righteousness in this country. He needs prayers that he will be intuitive and prayerful himself in the decisions he makes each day. If each person in this country prayed for our president each day there is no doubt in my mind that miracles could and would occur.

I will now step off my soap box and go pray for the president of the United States.

2 comments:

SHELLS BELLS! said...

Great thought Ang. I agree that being the President is a burdensome task and he does need our prayers.

Amber said...

Amen to that. Thanks for that thought. I need to do better at praying for our President.