Monday, October 27, 2008
Work in Progress
Katelyn can be quite funny. Especially when she gets mad and upset about something. I can take these upsetting tantrums one of two ways. I can laugh or I can get upset and lose my temper. Many times I chose the later and of that I am not proud of. Many other times I just laugh at her because, quite frankly, she can look quite ridiculous and funny when she is upset and throwing a tantrum. When I take it with humor then I am better able to remain calm enough to deal with the situation in a reasonable way. Promptly placing her in time out is usually the solution but the way in which I put her there seems to make a difference. If I do it in anger I am only teaching her that she has control over how mommy reacts when she misbehaves. I am not in control at that point because I have steam blowing out my ears and I am upset. On the other hand, if I place her in time out calmly she learns that mommy has control over her emotions regardless of how she acts and what she does. So I struggle with this everyday and I am constantly praying for help in how I deal with these difficult times in her toddler life. Needless to say, we are both a work in progress. I will keep trying to keep the control and she will keep trying to do the same. A definite work in progress!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh, how I can relate. :) I love the line, "I will keep trying to keep the control and she will keep trying to do the same." So true, so true.
I can totally relate! I admire your outlook. You sound like a fabulous mom to me--very loving and always trying to create a healthy, happy environment for your kids to become all they can be. I was reading on a cool parenting website yesterday http://education.byu.edu/youcandothis/. I love the title "You Can Do This: An Approach to Raising Wonderful Children". Sometimes I need a reminder that I can because it is a daily challenge. I love to hear about you and your family. You inspire me!
-Jenny
Post a Comment